Thursday, February 15, 2007

More container terminal


Suttonho asked me so I thought I'd write a bit about why I took these photos.

I pass the crane everyday and I have been wanting to take pictures of it for a very long time.
I am saving up for a bigger thing on industrial buildings and machines - if I can call it that. Have a look at Flickr and see my night shots of HC Ørstedsværket as well. It's the same fascination. These giants that use to be the absolute icons of power, wealth and state of the art technology. Now they live a more quiet life, even though they still work and preform there duties. Other technologies have taken over the lead position. Spending time photographing these buildings and places for me is like listening to stories from the old days. I my opinion history constantly flows around us, and when we move into specific places we pass history-specific flows that we can tap right into if we care to do so. To give you an example I go to school at Holmen this was the navel base where the English seized all our ships in 1807 after delivering the first missile bombardment i history. I look out my window and see the actual gunboat sheds from that time.
The building I sit in use to be the quarters for the navel personel on duty here. They have inscribed there names, cities of origin and dates. There are Danish ones from 1870ties still visible - to German ones from WW2 with swastika and eagle - to prisoners of war. It goes on and on and on. I find many people don't see these layers that I do. It is an integrated part of my life and it has always been this way -thanks to my dad. I always listen to my surroundings and try to discover what stories they want to tell me.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger suttonhoo said...

gorgeous lines and forms!

you gonna give us the backstory on this place?

5:02 am  
Blogger suttonhoo said...

so cool -- thanks.

5:40 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

Love, love, love the shot!

12:34 am  
Blogger Lasse said...

Thank you! good to see you back online Sara!

9:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home