Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Comments on America -the discussion

I read the whole thing!

So can you, start here:

RAT -an open letter to Mikkel

..and the reply:

I'm afraid of Americans


I have to join the discussion - I hope that it is OK to invite myself? -what can you do?
Here goes:

It is a long, hard and complicated discussion.

For me it is a love hate relationship. I have several American friends and I like being in the US. People are very friendly -actually friendlier then many other places in the world I have been. On a personal level I feel that many Danes could learn to be more open and welcoming –like the Americans.

There is a Danish writer called Frederik Stjernfelt who wrote a book called critic of the negative learning (or something like that). In the book he sees the problem in the leaned back negative culture – always criticizing and never coming up with solutions of there own, so as not to become a target them selves. This is something one should always have in mind in any discussion, but there is something Americans are missing. Being “The First Nation” also means that every body's eyes are on you. American policies, products and culture are CONSTANTLY surrounding or ON us. There is a certain element of trust attached to this – in my mind. (We believe) we let you surround us with all your stuff because we look up to you – we would like you to. But when you act like a bully we get sad and frightened and most of all disappointed. Or when you become more and more addicted to the weapons and war industry and can’t see it – it is me telling you to GET HELP FAST!

When I blog about these issues I am trying to talk reason to some imaginative US political organ that listens to reason. I understand that US foreign or domestic policy is VERY complicated and there are so many things to be taken into consideration, but it does not change the fact that I simply disagree with a lot of decisions that are served to me on TV, in the radio or in the newspapers as equally or MORE important than those of my own country –which they are and therefore so is my concern about them. Therefore I do not like to watch this when I feel your government time and time again make wrong decisions when I feel just as strongly about your actions as I do of those of my own government - I get upset! (I think many Danes feel 5 - 15% American. You would not believe the amount of people who have gone to High School in America.) Denmark is 5,2 million people – .Wisconsin is 5,5 million people.

At least we are participating in a debate.

In my interpretation you have a large group of people within the US who feel so not listened to that they make there own rules – so to speak. Out of desperation – out of not being heard. Slipknot is an example of such a culture– they resigned there idea of interacting with society because they knew they could not change a goddamn thing because they did not even have an articulated idea - even less the solid proof, the looks or the money to do so when they started. So they changed them selves not to become victims of the streamlined world. The shield is the attack/offence –the shield is aggression and FUCK YOU ALL! It is because America never listens. America never listens - you should try it - it's great.

I hope I make sense?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mikkel said...

"I hope it's OK that I join the discussion -- What can you do?"

Du ruler for hårdt!!!

7:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home